Gratitude Revisited

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. This verse must be pretty important to appear not just once (Psalm 107:1 NIV), but twice (Psalm 136:1 NIV). Sometimes it is good to be reminded more than once.

I was recently talking with someone about gratitude and thankfulness. Being that is it November and Thanksgiving is right around the corner, how fitting the timing of our conversation. Looking back, I found a devotion I wrote in September 2014 entitled “Gratitude”. I am thankful that I was reminded that there is always something good in everything. I hope you enjoy revisiting what it means to you to have gratitude.

Gratitude

Two kinds of gratitude: The sudden kind we feel for what we take; the larger kind we feel for what we give. ~ Edwin Arlington Robinson.

Last week I had an opportunity to hear Dr. Amit Sood, M.D., M.Sc. from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota speak about Stress-Free Living. As part of his presentation, he spoke of Gratitude. While his presentation was very interesting, and I look forward to reading about his works in more depth, there are two things I would like to share from that night:

First, a story Dr. Sood shared about Matthew Henry, an 18th- century biblical scholar, who understood the profound value of gratitude. After being robbed in London, Henry wrote in his journal: “Let me be thankful first, because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, let me be thankful that although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who did the robbing.” (Taken from The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living by Dr. Amit Sood, M.D., M.Sc. page 102)

WOW!!! How many of us can find something to be thankful for even during the most trying of times?

Second, start your day with gratitude. I am not much of a morning person and will often times utilize the “snooze” button. Needless to say, I am grateful to the person who invented it. Unfortunately, this at times leads to a morning of rushing around and thoughts wandering to the “to do” list for the day. Taking a few minutes for gratitude sounds like a better way to start my day. How do you start your day?

Dear God, thank you for the many gifts you have given us. Please help us to find the positives in all that we experience and find gratitude. Please help us to remember the words of Psalm 107:1 (ESV) ~ Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! In your name we pray. Amen.

April Schauer

Originally posted on Tue, September 9, 2014 by God's Grace Community Church

13 comments (Add your own)

1. wrote:
If some one desires expert view about running a
blog then i advise him/her to pay a quick visit this blog, Keep up the fastidious work.

Thu, May 2, 2019 @ 3:46 AM

2. wrote:
Hi, all the time i used to check weblog posts here early in the break of day, for the reason that i love
to find out more and more.

Sat, May 4, 2019 @ 8:03 PM

3. wrote:
WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for minecraft for free

Wed, May 8, 2019 @ 3:59 PM

4. wrote:
In fact when someone doesn't know afterward its up to other people that they will assist, so here it happens.

Mon, May 13, 2019 @ 4:59 PM

5. wrote:
I got this web site from my buddy who shared with me on the topic of this website and
at the moment this time I am browsing this website and reading very informative content at
this place.

Fri, August 23, 2019 @ 7:08 AM

6. wrote:
Hey very cool web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful
.. I'll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally?
I'm happy to search out so many helpful info right here in the put up, we'd like work out
extra techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing.
. . . . .

Sat, August 24, 2019 @ 7:41 AM

7. wrote:
It's really very complicated in this active life to
listen news on TV, so I simply use world wide
web for that reason, and take the newest news.

Fri, October 11, 2019 @ 12:23 AM

8. wrote:
Hi, all is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that's truly good, keep up writing.

Sun, October 13, 2019 @ 11:22 PM

9. wrote:
This site was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which
helped me. Cheers!

Fri, November 8, 2019 @ 2:20 PM

10. wrote:
It's an awesome piece of writing in support of all the web users; they will obtain benefit
from it I am sure.

Sun, November 17, 2019 @ 8:49 AM

11. wrote:
Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site so i came to “return the
favor”.I'm attempting to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Tue, November 26, 2019 @ 11:40 AM

12. wrote:
I do believe all of the concepts you've offered to your post.

They're really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for starters.
May just you please lengthen them a little from next time?
Thanks for the post.

Wed, November 27, 2019 @ 1:02 PM

13. wrote:
You ought to take part in a contest for one of the best websites on the internet.
I am going to recommend this blog!

Sat, December 7, 2019 @ 2:32 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.